All about my city: St. John's

The prompt for today for Blog Everyday in July is your city. Since I love to boast about the city I'm from everyday, why not share it on the interwebs? Here we go!

I am from Newfoundland in Canada (the east coast of Canada), and the city I live in is St. John’s. It’s the capital of Newfoundland and there are approx. 150 000 people living here. Relatively small compared to other capital cities, but I love it all the same.



The city is the most easterly point in North America. It’s also the oldest English-founded city in North America.


    (we also have lots of icebergs. you've seen the titanic right?)

Oh look, the oldest street in North America!



The weather here is awful from the months of January to mid-June. Legitimately we only have winter and then suddenly 25 degrees. Spring is not a thing in St. John’s.
St. John’s has some amazing views and hikes that make you enjoy living here when it’s not covered in fog or snow.

 Fog town:

Snow town:




St. John’s has a little street called George Street, which you may or may not have heard of. George Street has the most bars and pubs per square foot in North America. Which you know, means you are definitley in for a good time if you come by! With over 35 bars and pubs on two blocks you will find something you enjoy! And then you can enjoy some street meat at 3am.



St. John’s was also name one of the most colourful cities in the world and it’s due to a set of streets with brightly coloured houses we call JellyBean Row. They are such bright colours so that you could see them in the fog. I kid you not.




So there you have it. Well, that’s all I think you need to know about St. John’s anyway. The public transit may be awful, the weather might get you down a lot of the time but I dearly love this little city I call home. And should you ever find yourself in the neighbourhood, I would love to be your tour guide!






Allieology

9 comments

  1. YAY! I'm so happy to have found your blog! It's awesome finding fellow east coast bloggers. How sad is it that I've never been to NL? The ferry to get accross is literally right by my parents house. I think I need to convince my manager I have to go visit our office over that for *work reasons* AKA I'm dying to go to George St :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that seems like a pretty legit reason to me. you want see "how the other provinces work"...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. it's currently 25 degrees and sunny so hopefully it stays! yay summer!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a very nice and pretty place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those brightly colored buildings are beautiful! And those icebergs.. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those colorful houses are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in Halifax and actually made it to St.Johns for the first time last summer, it is as gorgeous as your pictures and more! I loved every second of my visit (though it was a wee bit windy at Signal Hill)! I will admit, despite growing up so close by I had been grossly unaware of how far it was between St.Johns and Halifax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah always TOO windy in st. john's. it's a bit much some times. I know! I used to drive to halifax with my parents when I was younger and after 20 minutes its was like "are we almost there???"

      Delete