Whirlwind Ottawa weekend

It's funny how you spend so much time looking forward to a weekend away but you forget just how quickly it goes by.

I was in Ottawa this past weekend for my cousin's wedding (and shopping of course). It was a great time and I got to see so many family members that I usually don't  because they don't come back to Newfoundland very often to visit. I can't really blame them, they are all sisters living in the same city and their parents don't live in Newfoundland anymore.

I met lots of their friends, ate too much food and spent too much money but it was 100% worth it!

Here's what the weekend was like in picture and brief explanation form:

Our flight out of St. John's was delayed (OF COURSE) by FOUR hours. So by the time we arrived in Halifax, our connecting flight to Ottawa was long gone. And the next available flight for us wasn't until 5pm, we were supposed to arrive in Ottawa at noon. This took a huge chunk out of my shopping time and I was less than impressed.

This was my view for 5 hours (minus lunch and bathroom breaks):


Yep the Halifax airport is about as exciting as it looks. On the bright side Air Canada did give us meal vouchers so our lunch was paid for. (the little things am I right?).

Eventually 5pm came and we did make it on that flight and we were finally off. We arrived around 6:30 and then had a quick visit with my cousin before rushing to the mall before it closed. We only had an hour and a half but I definitely did some damage in that time. Sephora and Mac get me everytime. 

Friday was Good Friday so everything was closed. We went to have lunch with a relative in Kanata and just ended up sitting outside enjoying the 15 degree sunny weather and drinking local beers. Quite the relaxing afternoon.

Saturday was the big day - Wedding day that is. It was at the Ottawa Wedding chapel in Kenmore which serves a non-religious wedding ceremony chapel. The wedding itself was short and sweet then there was SO much food afterwards and a lot of wine to be had. It felt off to be sipping back wine in a church pew but it happened.

so did a selfie on the drive over:


And I had to get a picture of my dress obviously:
My mom brought it back from Milan. I am just sooo #cultured (kidding).

The reception was right after the ceremony so after the cutting and eating of the cake, my sisters and I headed off to do more shopping since we lost so much time on thursday. After spending MORE money we went back to my cousins house for a party where we just drank, danced and ate pizza. The best saturday night if you ask me. 

Sunday was our touristy day. We also had brunch at my cousins husband's parent's house and can I just say day, Lebanese homemade food is amazing. 

My sister has a friend who lives in Ottawa so she took us on a little tour around the downtown area. It was only -3 it felt like -50. Wearing a dress probably didn't help.

Smile and pretend it's not -50

National War Memorial


Parliament Hill


  After sight-seeing we headed back to my cousin's house where I took a much needed nap. Then we set out for one last night with our cousins for some food and drinks. And we were not disappointed. If you ever find yourself in Ottawa, make sure you make the time to go to El Camino. It's a taco place, but not your average taco place. I wish I had taken pictures of the inside because it's such a cool atmosphere! I did take pictures of my food though:

 

Bourbon Sour - AMAZING. I could have had 3 of them but probably would have ended up on the floor. A bit strong.

Fish tacos - To die for. If you love spicy food you will love these. I generally don't go for spicy but I powered through them because they were delicious. We also had churros which I didn't get a picture of because I was busy eating them.

All in all it was a great weekend. We had a 6am flight back to NL yesterday and so now it's back to the routine. I wish I was still eating churros though. 

                             



3 comments

  1. That dress looks great on you girl! Looks like you had so much fun! I've always heard about how beautiful Ottawa is, totally need to go some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! :) You should visit! Just make sure it's in the summer and not the awkward in between winter and spring phase haha.

      Delete
  2. Obsessed with fish tacos and you looked absolutely beautiful!!! That dress is gorgeousssss! The pictures are beautiful as well!
    xoxo
    Brooke|LookBrooke

    ReplyDelete