The road emotional maturity

This is a bit of a hard post to write because it means I'm sharing my insecurities with the world and that is, you know, kind of scary.

I have recently come to the conclusion that there are certain things in my life that require me to grow up a bit. Ok, a lot. I don't always handle situations the way I should, and I let my emotions get the best of me a lot of the time. Some of it is tied to anxiety, but I refuse to let that lead my life and I certainly don't want to use it as an excuse for not trying to become more emotionally mature.

Being emotionally mature means that you handle any emotions; anger, jealousy, fear, sadness etc in an appropriate, rational way. I know the way I currently handle things, aka getting mad at my boyfriend and irrationally reacting to things that have no real impact on my life is not the way I should be acting. I think that if I can make some goals for myself, small ones that I can see myself reaching in a shortish period of time,  I'll be able to keep track of how I'm doing. Little baby steps to keep me motivated and keep growing! I refuse to continue to treat certain situations the same way a 16 year old would. I am 27 and I want to make sure that I have healthy coping mechanisms and healthy relationships with people around me.

Aside from just goals, I have thought about picking up an anxiety workbook as well as seeing a therapist regularly. I know that I am going to need some help to have some strategies for dealing with my insecurities and my emotions. I think my immature reactions stem from my insecurities so that would be a wise thing to tackle as well.

I'm not really even sure why I decided to post this on here. Maybe some of you out there have been through a similar thing and can understand or help a girl out! Are there any books you would recommend reading? I am open to anything about anxiety, self-esteem, confidence, happiness etc.


On a completely different note, I guess I'm back to blogging for a bit? I would love to say I'll constantly be updating but let's be honest, both times I've tried that things haven't gone so well. But no harm in trying again! That is part of what I was saying earlier I suppose. 

No comments