Making the most of your semester abroad

I know there are hundreds of these kinds of lists floating around the internet, but I wanted to take my own personal experience, both good and things I regret and make my own.

Plus it's the third Thursday of the month which means another Thursday Travel linkup!

Do's

Travel where you can - Obviously you are studying in one city, but make the most of your time there by travelling where your budget and availability allows. The one thing I never stopped telling myself while I was away was "when am I ever going to get to do this again under this circumstance". I don't doubt that I'll be back in Europe but not as a study abroad!

Do a mix of touristy and non touristy - If you've picked a place to visit, chances are there is initially something that you saw somewhere that drew you in. Example, in Paris? Go see the Eiffel Tower. Italy? Go get that leaning tower of Pisa picture. If you want to! Don't get caught up in the "that's too touristy thing." But also, eat at a restaurant so far removed from the touristy area, meet some locals. Go to a pub/bar that isn't crawling with foreigners.



Refrain from buying a lot of clothes - If I could take this back I would haha. I spent so much money frivolously on clothes and shoes. You can buy shoes and clothes at home! Obviously you are going to buy SOME things, but don't go overboard. Not like me to the point where you need to get another suitcase. Whoops.

Don'ts

Don't forget about your study city - I know I know. I just said travel as much as you can. But don't forget about the city you're studying in! Take the time to speak to the people in your classes. You will definitely find some Erasmus students in the same boat as you. This is another regret I have; i made friends, but I didn't actually evolve the relationships the way I wish I had because I was always gone with the people from my home university. It's worth getting to know people!

Then you can have group photo ops like this:


Try NOT to lose your patience - If you're traveling with people for the first time, it's going to take time to get used their personalities, especially their travel personalities. Some people need to be 4 hours early to the airport, some people like the thrill of almost missing the flight (ok I don't actually think it's thrilling but that's part of the adventure right?)

Don't forget to live in the moment - Document your trip, absolutely. But don't get stuck always taking pictures instead of looking at things through your own eyes. Keep a journal, write down jot notes even. Something to remember how you felt, not just what you saw. You will want to look back on this and remember the amazing time you had.

I guess these things don't really JUST apply to studying abroad. They can be used for anyone backpacking or going on a trip (except the study city I suppose!).

What are your tips for travelling? What are things you should avoid doing or things you should do?

Don't forget to link up!




Kristie's Blue Jeans






2 comments

  1. I so wish I would have done something like this! When I graduated college (with my diploma) there was an option to continue on to receive my degree through my college's exchange program with a school in Australia. My college bff and I went to the information session for it but the cost of doing it was just waay to out of the realm of possibility at the time :(

    I spent almost 2 weeks in Europe over 10 years ago now and I'm definitely overdue for a trip back there, especially after seeing all the awesome pictures from your time there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Australia! That would have been amazing! But I can only imagine the price of living down there haha. The bright side being that I'm sure there are thousands of programs that you could eventually participate in! My sister did a work abroad program in Australia and she met so many people through it and loved it!

      I'm looking into going back for a month in the fall of 2016 but we'll see what the financial situation is at that time :P.

      Delete