I don't DO winter

I don't ski.
I don't snowboard.
I don't go sledding.
I don't skate (outdoors anyway).



I think this probably makes me the worst Canadian ever but I really hate the cold. I hate getting wet and I hate those things combined which is the inevitable result if I participate in any of these types of activities.

When I was younger I LOVED to go sliding, but I have since grown to realize that winter and I are not meant to be. Not even close.

The first and last time I tried downhill skiing, I couldn't make it down the bunny hill without falling. My friend somehow coaxed me into going down one of the big hills. I have no idea why I agreed to this at all, I didn't even know how to get on the ski lift. So we get up to the top, and I fall out of the chair. I can't get up, my friend tries to help but I am way heavier than him so just take a minute to imagine how well that went over.

I eventually got up, started and fell again. And this kept happening and happening and happening and we weren't anywhere near the bottom. An instructor comes up behind us and offers help, I start going, can't stop and tumble over myself and just lay there, defeated. At this point they are in the process of CLOSING the hill and I am refusing to come down on skis. So my friend goes on and I stay with the instructor and eventually someone on a snow mobile comes down and offers me a ride to the bottom and I obviously took it.

On the bright side, I couldn't really be embarrassed because there was no one left in the closed park. So safe to say I will never set foot on a pair of skis again. I looked somewhat similar to Bridget Jones when she attempts it:

but with no smile because I was not laughing at this point. 

This terrible day was followed by a long nap and night full of beer to help soothe me.

So yeah, you could say I'm not the biggest fan of winter. I won't even attempt outdoor skating because if I can't hold on the sides I am doomed. Ain't gonna happen.

If you are a winter, kudos to you. I need to move to Florida.






3 comments

  1. I know exactly what you mean about those stupid chair lifts. I would love to learn to ski, because snowboarding and I are not exactly besties. I am trying to embrace my love of winter, but somehow it ain't happening. Wishing you warm happy thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is precisely why I've never gone skiing.. that is what I expect would happen to me! Well that,and the fact my parents told me "if you go on school ski trips you might crash into a tree and die, so you can't go." Life lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you! The last time I went skiing was Grade 7 and my best friend and I spent most of our time on the bunny hill or in the chalet! And I will never even attempt snowboarding because I'm not that coordinated! haha I do like to go sledding - there are awesome sledding hills basically right in my backyard but walking back UP the hills afterwards is such a workout that it takes days to recover! I would go to a ski resort that has tubes though just to do that!

    The only thing I like about winter is Christmas - the countdown to Spring has been on since December 26th! haha

    ReplyDelete