Newfoundland slang

One of the things I love most about languages is the different dialects how they all create different slang words and sayings to convey meanings. In my opinion (maybe being from here makes a me a bit biased..) Newfoundland has some of the most interesting sayings and slang in Canada.

And no, contrary to popular belief, we do not say 'eh' in all of Canada. Newfoundlanders most certainly do not say 'eh'.


So let's get started and get you all up to date on your Newfoundland vocabulary shall we?

- Whadda y'at? (Meaning: what's up? It's pronounced exactly the way it's spelled). 

- Yes b'y! (Meaning: When something bad or good happens, this is generally an exclamation made. Either supportive and happy for you, or shocked by what has been said or done.)

- How did it go after? (This is a personal favourite of mine. Any time someone from NL says this you immediately understand what they are talking about. However I've said this to friends from the mainland and they get really confused. Meaning: When you were previously having a conversation with someone about something you were going to do, or someone you were you going to talk to, and you see the person you had had said conversation with, they will ask you how did it go after. As in, after the conversation, the thing took place and now I want to know how it went.)

That was probably a terrible explanation...sorry about that.

- Who knit you? (Meaning: Similar to saying who raised you when you do something stupid or impolite, but not super offensive as this saying is mostly sarcastic!)

- I dies at you (Meaning: I die laughing because you're hilarious, or I die laughing at you).

- Crooked (I thought this one was a general one across English but was mistaken when my friend from Ontario had no idea what I was talking about. Meaning: sad, sooky, unhappy, sulking)

That's all I have for now. Do you have any interesting sayings from your hometown/state/province? I'd love to hear them!

Happy Monday!



PS: I do not at all assume that every person NOT from Newfoundland doesn't know what these mean. Just purely based off of personal experience with people from outside the province.



3 comments

  1. Those are some good Newfoundland ones! Another one I like is "scrob" (scratch).

    One that I discovered the other day is "clued up". I said it in a conversation with my boyfriend who is from the UK and he was super confused. In other English-speaking places, it apparently means to have a detailed knowledge about something, whereas here we use it to say that something has finished, e.g. the soccer game just clued up. I've been trying to test it on my friends who aren't local and so far no one who isn't from here has heard of it before! So random.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clued up, really?? I just assumed that was another general across all English speakers hahaha. My teachers used to always say let's clue it up. That's so funny.

      Delete
  2. I'd never heard any of these - too funny!

    ReplyDelete