Travel Thursdays: Amsterdam

I've decided I want to share more of my semester abroad! Well I guess technically I'm writing it because I want to always remember it, but now you can come along!

Amsterdam - Feb. 20th - 23rd 2014


We figured Amsterdam would be a good place to start our European travels. A lot to see, but you can get a lot done in just a couple of days.

We made it to the Anne Frank house, The rijksmuseum, the heineken museum, a canal cruise, a coffeeshop, the red light district and on a pub crawl.

I am by no means an art person but I was fairly excited when I saw Van Gogh's self portrait!


The canal's are beautiful:



The really sad thing is that I don't have any pictures of the red light district. We went to one bar and my friend's purse got stolen so we spent the whole night in the police station. She lost her wallet, cell phone, camera, passport EVERYTHING. The police did show up to our hostel though at like 3am because they found her purse! Her passport was in it thankfully. And then the next day they found her wallet!! But she had already cancelled her cards, which rendered them useless. I guess that $500 canadian dollar limit didn't get them very far.

We went to a coffeeshop and it was awesome/really bizarre. Everyone was just chilling, smoking and hanging out. Coming from Newfoundland, it's definitely a surreal experience. 

Of course the Heineken brewery tour. I will be the first to admit I am not the biggest Heineken fan, but for whatever reason it is so good when you have it there. Probably because it hasn't been packaged and shipped across the atlantic before reaching my mouth. 

(thumbs up for TERRIBLE iphone pictures)

We also went on a pub crawl! It's called the "Best night ever" crawl or something. You got free shots (re: they had bottles and you opened your mouth and they poured the alcohol in).

We did get awesome shirts!!
                                                             (sober...)

And if I didn't get a picture in the sign what was I even doing there.


Have you ever been to Amsterdam? What was your favourite part? I would go back in a heartbeat! 







4 comments

  1. such pretty pictures! what a fun trip!

    still on my list of places to travel too,eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are actually working on a plan to visit Europe (mostly London/Paris) over the holidays, but everyone keeps recommending Amsterdam so it's becoming a priority too! It looks like you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paris and London are amazing choices as well! And if you miss places that always gives you a reason to go back ;)

      Delete