Life choices

I don't think there has ever been a time in my life where I was sure about anything. I know what I like to do, and I know I can see myself doing those things, it's all just a matter of when.

Ever since I came back from France, my whole family and my friends have had the attitude that "ok you've had you're fun, time to move back home and be serious and think about what you want to do with your life and make some money"

To certain degree, I agreed with them. I'm 24, I should probably have something I want to do, and the means and motivation to do it. As a 16 year old, I envisioned my 24 year old self as having started my career, being engaged and thinking about a future with my children here in Newfoundland. That's the funny thing about life though, it generally never ends up how you expect it would.

I know that I would love to do Speech-Pathology. Or Special education. Those are the areas that interest me, and while I might not get into school the first time, there is always room for improvements and I can always try again. Initially, coming back from France I was ready to work and then apply to grad schools. I signed up for the GRE, bought the materials; this is what my future was and I had to start now.

But then I got job. Then I wondered, why would I not take advantage of opportunities I have now and figure out life after. I almost hate myself for thinking this, but what about my boyfriend? He's over in France with no future plans to move anywhere near here. I'm a huge mess of what am I going to do.

Options:

1) I could stay on the path I'm on now, and apply to grad school and education and start in september.

2) I could start writing my thesis, then continue with school in september.

3) I could put school on hold and work until next summer, saving money so I can go and teach english in France for 7 months.

To be completely honest, I am more inclined to do the third. I'm sure my parents and friends will have a few choice words for that decision, but ultimately, it's what I want. It sounds crazy to say I'm moving to France to be with my boyfriend, but that's not the only reason. School will always be there. I would rather start my career too late and have stories to tell my kids and grand-kids than look back wished I that I had done it.

And maybe it will be the wrong decision, but there's only one way to find out.






2 comments

  1. As someone who didn't take the big trips (I'm 26 now) and is settled down with the (lovely) husband and job, etc I say do it! Chase your dreams while it is still easy to do it, so that when you are ready to "settle" down you have those adventures, because once you've got a life set up it's so much harder to leave for that big adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I want to have lots of experiences and I feel like now is the time :) also you're still super young! Many adventures ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete