Causes I Support

I'm really not very good at blogging everyday am I? I promise I'm trying, I really am.

Found Love. Now What?


Today’s prompt is, “Do you have a favorite charity or cause you support?”


For a long time I never volunteered unless it was to fulfill requirements for school. Not that I had anything against charities and causes (obviously) but I just never really found one that I could connect with or was really passionate about. 

That all changed when I became a mentor for the Go Girls! Program with Big Brothers Big Sisters. 


The program involves going to a school once a week during lunchtime with group of girls in the 6th grade. It's the last year of their elementary school days, and junior high or middle school can really bring a lot of changes to your life. The basis of the program is to build confidence, awareness, healthy habits and acceptance. It is truly empowering to see the girls grow week to week in how they interact with eachother, with other people who aren't necessarily in their friend group and their evolving opinions on things. Having girls realize their full potential is a starting point for great things to come. Big Brothers Big Sisters is an incredible organization. 



Playing a role in the development of youth, I wanted to pursue another area that would bring me the same satisfaction the Go Girls! did. The local Planned Parenthood in my city runs basically on volunteers, there are only two permanent employees (the perks of a nonprofit am I right?).  



I decided that PP would be the perfect spot for me and I wasn't wrong. Their stance and opinions on certain subjects reflect almost exactly my own, basically a match made in heaven. As a volunteer you have front desk duties, but we also council girls who come in for pregnancy tests on their options should they be pregnant (healthy fetal development, adoption options, abortion). We give presentations groups of teens in schools about safe sex, STIs, gender orientation, gender identity, abuse, consent, healthy relationships - the list goes on. All of these conversations which have become to taboo in our society and I think it's so important to talk about them. Especially to young people. 

I don't think I could have found better organizations to donate my time and money to. They have both inspired me to take my education degree and find work in the non-profit sector, I love the things they do.

What causes are close to your heart?




1 comment

  1. These both sound like wonderful ways to be actively and positively involved in your community.

    ReplyDelete